The Sacred Oracle
Become a member, and enjoy many more hidden forums about
Tarot, Spirituality, Mediumship and the Paranormal.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Sacred Oracle
Become a member, and enjoy many more hidden forums about
Tarot, Spirituality, Mediumship and the Paranormal.
The Sacred Oracle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Cartomancy
Book of Ballymote EmptyWed May 20, 2020 8:44 am by pachakutiq

» Unpendulum questions
Book of Ballymote EmptySat May 16, 2020 8:36 am by pachakutiq

» Fingerprint reading
Book of Ballymote EmptyFri May 15, 2020 10:52 pm by SuzieQ

» A Rune a day
Book of Ballymote EmptySat Feb 01, 2020 2:25 am by pachakutiq

» Wildwood Tarot
Book of Ballymote EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 10:41 pm by pachakutiq

» The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
Book of Ballymote EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 4:25 pm by Dancing Bear

» Visit from my Nan
Book of Ballymote EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 4:16 pm by Dancing Bear

» Welcome Guests
Book of Ballymote EmptyWed Jan 01, 2020 1:05 pm by Dancing Bear

» Channeling
Book of Ballymote EmptySun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 pm by pachakutiq

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 127 on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:26 am
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Book of Ballymote

2 posters

Go down

Book of Ballymote Empty Book of Ballymote

Post by Dancing Bear Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm

This Book i found to be extremely helpful to understand what Runes are, how they came about, their History.
I absolutely Love History of most kinds, and this book has had me intrigued for years.. I use to be able to access the full script of the book online.. not sure i found another in the link i have posted as i havent scrolled through the entire thing, I hope its all there for those who are interested in exploring it more..
I personally think this book is important towards the Runes , as it shows it is a written language for communication, like the Egyptian hieroglyph each rune had a meaning. at the time in History they believed the written word held a power of its own, and today we now see a bind rune holding a power unto its own.
I Love the fact they were used for communication for travelers.. and there were so many of them..
The Bird Ogham has always intrigued me too..
But as the Book of Ballymote shows many are lost and the entire set is no longer, I have embarked several times to try to put my own finished version together, but because i am such a history buff and perfectionist this has been a very slow process indeed.. I will definitely post it up in this forum, if i ever finish it.  Very Happy

https://www.ria.ie/book-ballymote

Here is a link to the runes in the book of Ballymote.. this site just has pages of Runes and not the translation or story behind them, but if you are just after the images this page is perfect.

http://www.equinox-project.com/ogamscales.htm
Dancing Bear
Dancing Bear
Admin

https://thesacredoracle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Book of Ballymote Empty History of the Book Of Ballymote

Post by Dancing Bear Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:15 pm

The Book of Ballymote
This book was compiled towards the end of the 14th century at the castle of Ballymote for Tonnaltagh McDonagh, who was then in occupation of the castle. The chief compiler was Manus O'Duignan, one of a family who were ollavs and scribes to the McDonagh and the McDermots. Other scribes of the book were Solomon O'Droma, a member of a famous Co. Fermanagh family, and a Robert McSheedy.
The book is a compilation of older works, mostly loose manuscripts and valuable documents handed down from antiquity that came into possession of McDonagh.

The first page of the work contains a drawing of Noah's Ark as conceived by the scribe. The first written page is missing and the second opens with a description of the ages of the world.

The work contains treatises on the history of the Jewish peoples ;St. Patrick and his household; Cormac's instructions to a king; a physical and geological survey of Ireland. Part of the work is devoted to sagas of Finn and Brian Boru, while the Book of Rights, which O'Donovan translated and edited in 1847, is taken entirely from the Book of Ballymote. It also contains treatises on metre and the profession of a poet, on the Ogham writing and language. The book ends with a translation from the Greek......the destruction of Troy and the wanderings of Ulysses, followed by a resume of Virgil's 'Aeneid', beginning with Nestor's speech to the Greeks.

The Book of Ballymote, like many of its kind, has made history by its wanderings. For over a hundred years it was a treasured possession of the McDonaghs of Corran. About the beginning of the 16th century, it fell into the possession of the O'Donnells with whom it remained until the Flight of the Earls in 1603. From 1620 until 1767 it was in the library of Trinity College,Dublin. It disappeared from the library and was later found in Burgundy, France. In 1785 it was returned to the Royal Irish Academy where it remained as one of the Academy's most treasured possessions. The work was photographed by the Academy in 1887 and two hundred copies of it were made. One copy is in the diocesan archives and others in libraries.

(Taken from James McDonagh's History of Ballymote and the Parish of Emlaghfad).
Dancing Bear
Dancing Bear
Admin

https://thesacredoracle.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Book of Ballymote Empty Re: Book of Ballymote

Post by pachakutiq Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:21 pm

Very interesting, DB! And, thank you for the sites. I am going to look through it myself as I also love history. I'm not so much into runes, but who knows, this just might find me having to get a rune set and start all over again. Laughing I did have a set, but as I mentioned, I couldn't get into it so I gave it away.

I would however, be very interested in seeing your end product when you have finished! So I will keep my eye open to you sharing it here with us. You have your hands into everything, it seems! lol! You never cease to amaze me, DB. Smile
pachakutiq
pachakutiq

Back to top Go down

Book of Ballymote Empty Re: Book of Ballymote

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down